Friday 20 February 2015

SQL SERVER – Outer Join in Indexed View – Question to Readers


Today I have question for you. Just a day ago I was reading whitepaper Improving Performance with SQL Server 2008 Indexed Views. Following is question and answer I read in the white paper.
Q. Why can’t I use OUTER JOIN in an indexed view?
A. Rows can logically disappear from an indexed view based on OUTER JOIN when you insert data into a base table. This makes incrementally updating OUTER JOIN views relatively complex to implement, and the performance of the implementation would be slower than for views based on standard (INNER) JOIN.
Here I would like to ask you one question, do you have example for kind of OUTER JOIN where you insert data into base table, it will make a row disappear from query?
Please post your answer as comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment